Saturday, August 27, 2011
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Friday, August 12, 2011
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Find more Works For Me Wednesday ideas at We are THAT family.
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
If you are on Pinterest I am sure you have seen this type of melted crayon art. The colors, the medium, the simplicity......I couldn't resist making one for my classroom! Canvas, crayons, glue gun, blow dryer, done.
I still haven't figured out how to pin items that are not already on someone's Pinterest board (I mainly use aol and cannot load a tool bar to aol) but I have not run out of boards to look at. In fact, I have to force myself away from the computer because it sucks me in so easily. Usually I am into food or cake boards but this last week has been all about preschool ideas. So much good stuff!
Do you use Pinterest? What sucks you in?
Friday, August 5, 2011
1. I realized that in two weeks I would be working 4 days a week, as opposed to two days a week last year, and no days of week all summer. I then realized that dinner would be getting a little more difficult, so I did an impromptu freezer meal cooking afternoon. I made chicken pot pie filling, marinated steaks (which I can also add to stir fry dishes, and teriyaki chicken. I feel more prepared to start school. Yay!
2. The incredible Strawberry-Lime Cream Cake that I made for Scarlett's birthday yielded a bit too much fillings, so instead of eating them by the spoonfuls (which I did plenty of), I made it into ice cream. Strawberry-Lime Ice Cream. It's very, very good. I would make the fillings just for the ice cream, but the cake was too good to pass up. It's a vicious circle of summer goodness.
3. I finally made some of the peach ice cream that I posted about last year. Same goodness, different summer flavor. Don't hate. Just come over with a spoon.
4. We are off to see The Fox and the Hound at our church this evening. I saw this in the movie theater when it first came out with my cousin Sam. We sat in the very front row. I had my own box of candy. Dots, I think. We got a box of Shrinky Dinks after the movie and my other cousin Nick lit a pot holder on fire trying to get them out of the oven. It's funny the things I remember from childhood!
Go see other Friday Fragments over at Half-Past Kissin' Time.
Thursday, August 4, 2011
I cut them to incorporate the little zippered pockets that were already on the pants. Bonus - an eraser pocket! I also left the button and loop on just for a little extra flair :)
Want the kids to spend over an hour outside with some creative and intriguing play?
1. Freeze blocks of ice in a variety of containers.
2. Place ice blocks in pans with sides.
3. Fill empty egg carton with water and food coloring (you may have to refill as the hour goes on).
4. Let kids pour salt all over ice (or mix salt into food coloring).
5. Give them eye droppers and let them play around with the salt, ice and colors.
Casually bring up that salt lowers the melting point of water.The salt creates groves or tunnels in the ice as it melts, which the colors help you see. Show them that red and blue make purple....that the ice in the metal pan mets quicker than the one in the glass pan....that the one drop of blue can contaminte the entire thing of yellow....that you better ask before putting colors on your sister's sculpture. You get the idea. Expand it, use it to teach. Science right before your eyes!
What other ideas for learning fun do you have?
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
She wanted a turtle birthday. I made this small turtle cake, which I was going to put on the bigger cake but way afraid that the weight of it would collapse the big cake. I was too lazy to put in supports. And the thing is, kids just don't care. They love it no matter what the grand plan was supposed to be. The big cake (especially made for the adults) was this AMAZING summer-y recipe for Strawberry-Lime Cream Cake. Seriously awesome. Seriously. Best cake ever.
Emma with her baby lizard earring.
Cheese all around!
We got her roller skates and a friend got her knee and elbow pads. She looks like she's ready for roller derby :)